- Why .ORGANIC?
- Get .ORGANIC
How to Set Up Your Own Brand Photography Studio
When you need a lot of high quality images to sustain content creation or for online products, a brand photography studio can be a good option for many small business owners. A home studio gives you flexibility and creative freedom.
But how do you get started? With the right idea, a few tools, and a solid plan, you can get your home studio up and running quickly.
Benefits of a Home Photography Studio
A home studio provides a location to take just the right images — from product photos to selfies — with all the tools you need in one place:
- It provides a space to create consistent images whenever you need them.
- All the tools you need are in one place.
- Multiple photographers can take photos that have the same vibe.
- Studio shots look professional and create a brand style over time.
Tools of the Trade
You'll need a decent camera — if you don't have one already, Digital Photo Mentor has a great guide for finding the right one for your needs.
But besides a good camera, you won't need any fancy equipment to set up a pro-quality home studio. Here are the basics:
- Lights to ensure that products look great and are free of awkward shadows. Most photographers recommend at least one light, with three lights being more ideal. You'll also want a stand for each light.
- A reflector and umbrella will ensure lighting works in any condition.
- A backdrop. Most brand studios use a collapsible background. It's probably a good idea to have a white background in addition to any color you might choose. (White or a light solid color background makes easy work of cutting out or working with images later if you don't want full photographs.)
- Depending on your setup, you might want a small stool to stand on or props to sit products on.
- Grab a couple of extension cords and power strips as well so that you can move equipment as needed in the studio space.
Brand Photography Best Practices
Once your home brand photography studio is up and running, make the most of it to create stellar images that showcase your product or service in the best light:
- Take high-resolution photos that are sharp and composed well. If your photography skills aren't up to the challenge recruit some help.
- Pick a single focus for each image, such as a product and zoom in on it.
- Use real people in your photos, where appropriate. Avoid images that look overly staged.
- Make sure the image canvas is clutter-free so that the brand element is clearly visible in the image.
- Make sure brand identifiers are clearly visible and not upside down or awkward placed.
- Create a connection with your target audience through brand photography. This could include a mix of photos that are pure product photos for online sales, as well as images of people using products or services that can work on social media, printed pieces, or your website.
A home brand studio saves money in the long run because you won't need to rent studio space to get the right shots and can scale as you grow your small business. And it doesn't have to be big — it can fit in the corner of your home office.
A studio provides a setting to ensure that you capture brand images efficiently and professionally. And it gives you the flexibility to take photos anytime that's convenient for you!